I am happy to share that Green Mountain Energy Company will be a part of the first carbon neutral sailing race in the United States! The 2012 Atlantic Cup Race kicks off in May and will be a premiere sailing and environmentally sustainable race.
The 2012 Atlantic Cup carbon footprint will be calculated prior to the race start by Green Mountain. Based on these calculations and a post-race assessment, carbon offsets and renewable energy certificates (RECs) will be retired in order to offset emissions associated with the event, such as staff air travel, ground and water transportation, staff hotel stays, and event electricity usage.
I’m looking forward to the race next month and hope you are too! Check out the competition schedule below and see the full press release for more information.
- May 11 – Depart Charleston, South Carolina, for double-handed (two people on board) 645 nautical miles from Charleston to New York Harbor, New York around the challenging Cape Hatteras
- May 18 – Compete in a one day Pro-Am race in New York Harbor
- May 19 – Depart New York Harbor with double-handed 260 nautical miles from New York to Newport
- May 26 – Two days inshore fully crewed (six people on board) buoy racing held over the weekend of May 26 in Newport, RI
- May 27 – Event finish – party and award presentation at Newport Shipyard
Tags: 11th Hour Racing, Carbon Neutral, Carbon Offsets, Green, Green Mountain Energy, New York, Sailing, The Atlantic Cup